Projects & Programs
The Savannah Accelerated Development Authority (SADA), Ghana has launched a progressive initiative to prepare the Regional Concept Plan for the Northern Savannah Ecological Zone (NSEZ) comprising of 5 Regions; Detailed Master Plans for the Cities of Tamale and Buipe; and a Land Management System for Tamale City. For this purpose, Surbana Jurong has been working closely with the Ghanaian professionals and stakeholders comprising of the Town and Country Planning Development, National Development Planning Commission, professional commissions and local authorities to deliver the respective tasks of the project.
Investment & Opportunities
Despite the challenges, there are potential opportunities to improve the existing situation of the population. They are:
- Capitalise on the strong urban population growth and densities along the major transport corridors connecting to the South, particularly in the North-East and South- East regions. It offers a great potential for intensifying urban densities that will bring in more economic and social development opportunities for NSEZ.
- Identify the potential economic development opportunities of each region that can help to stimulate and diversify growth across the entire NSEZ in ensuring a holistic and sustainable long-term development of the ecological zone.
- Reduce North-South migration levels and retain the population by diversification of the predominantly agrarian economy and increase employment opportunities.
- Position and further grow the regional capitals including Tamale and Bolgatanga into key urban centres with specified functions to catalyse the overall development of NSEZ. This can create spillover effects on the relatively weaker regions including the Upper West.
- Improve provision of adequate and quality basic infrastructure and facilities to drive economic growth and urbanization.
- Enhance the attractiveness of NSEZ in terms of improvement in education and knowledge, skill sets, and employment opportunities.